tiffany rings play

Go down

tiffany rings play

Post  jessy123 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 pm

tiffany rings play
to reduce it to a more familiar strain for our people."146 The result is what can best be described as an adulterated version of the Hero and Leander story, as Littlewit explains:I have only made it a little easy and modern for the times ...; as, for the Hellespont, 1 imagine our Thames here; and then Leander, I make a dyer's son, about Puddle Wharf; and Hero a wench o' the Bankside, who going over one morning to Old Fish Street, Leander spies her tiffany outlet at Trig Stairs, and falls in love with her.14
Jonson shows the principle of adulterating products just as much at work in the theater as elsewhere in the fair.148 By having the classical story of Hero and Leander modernized, Leatherhead cheapens it and corrupts it, solely with a view to boxoffice receipts and with no regard for aesthetic considerations. It is difficult to imagine how Jonson could have given a portrait of the commercial theater more negative than what he offers in Bartholomew Fair. The actual puppet play is as lame as the Pyra mus and Thisbe tiffany pendants interlude in A Midsummer Night's Dream, filled with couplets like this:O Leander, Leander, my dear, my dear Leander, I'll for ever be tiffany cuff link thy goose, so thou'lt be my gander.Bartholomew Fair, But despite portraying the theater as negatively as possible in Bartholomew Fair, Jonson chooses to defend it against its critics.See Horsman, Bartholomew Fair, p. xvii and Barish, Prose Comedy, p. 230.By portraying what is in effect a worstcase scenario, he is able to make his point clearer any theater is better than no theater at all. Jonson sees tiffany necklaces that to come to the defense of the theater, he cannot simply champion good drama; he must defend the theater as such, tiffany bracelets and that must include the commercial world of bad drama.See Waith, Bartholomew Fair, p. 17, Barish, Prose Comedy, and Gibbons, City Comedy, p. 190: "it is this whole tradition, from the great Morality tiffany rings play to the crudest Popular farce that Jonson sets out to defend: and if the ballads are banned, it will be only a matter of time before The Alchemist is banned too." Of course, he could not forego the opportunity to have some fun at the expense of his fellow playwrights in Bartholomew Fair, as he had been doing throughout his dramatic career. For the possibility that Jonson was using the puppet show to make fun specifically of his masque collaborator Inigo Jones, see Riggs, Jonson, pp. 19395. As we have seen, for much of his life he tried to distance himself from the .

jessy123

Back to top Go down